Dr.Sunil Shroff is a Senior Consultant Urologist & Kidney Transplant Surgeon and Social Entrepreneur who has been instrumental in establishing the deceased donation and transplantation programme in India. He is the chief editor of the largest health website from India called www.medindia.net
In April 2015 he joined as a Senior Consultant at Madras Medical Mission ( popularly known as Triple M) located at Moggapair in Chennai. He sees patients by appointment on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and does the complete range of endoscopic and open Urology Surgery at the Hospital.
He did his post-graduation in Surgery from India and proceeded to England in the Year 1983 and did his FRCS in 1986 followed by specialization in Urology, Andrology and Kidney Transplantation from the Institute of Urology & Nephrology, London and got his post graduation degree in Urology from the University College of London. He worked as a Lecturer, Registrar and Senior Registrar at St.Peter’s Hospital, Middlesex Hospital’ and the Royal London Hospital in London before he returned to India in 1995. He was instrumental in starting the department of Urology & Renal Transplantation at the Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Hospital at Porur, Chennai. Under his leadership the super specialty MCh in Urology was started in the year 2000 and he also started the B.Sc Allied Health Science Technology course in Urology. This was the first such course that was started in the country. He was Professor and Head of the department for 20 years at Sri Ramachandra Hospital from 1995 to 2015.
- President, Nephrology, Urology and Transplantation Society of SAARC 2013-2015.
- Convener, Indian Transplant Registry under Indian Society of Organ Transplantation he has helped in compiling all data on organ transplants done in India and their outcome. The registry is first of its kind in Asia.
- Editor quarterly publication called – Indian Transplant Newsletter that reaches out to over 2,000 transplant professionals across India and abroad every quarter since 1997.
- Urology Section Editor of Nephrology, Urology and Transplantation Journal of SAARC
- State Advisory Board Member of Transplant Committee for State of Rajasthan to establish Cadaver Transplant Programme
- Advisory Board Member as representative of MOHAN Foundation for Tamil Nadu Cadaver Transplant committee in association with Department of Health, Govt. of Tamil Nadu. Board consist of 7 members with Principal Health Secretary of Tamil Nadu as Chairman.
- Organizing Secretary for Indian Society of Organ Transplantation meeting at Chennai from 2nd to 4th October 2015
Training & Academic Work Related Urology
Urology is a medical super specialty and in any major city there are only 30 to 100 urologist.
1993 – 1995 – Did original research on use of Holmium laser for treatment of kidney stones and prostate. Resulting publications were used for FDA approval of the Laser and today there are over 5000 hospitals all over the world using this laser. Published this pioneering and highly acclaimed international work in British Journal of Urology – “Application of Holmium:YAG Laser in Urology” in 1995. He has original work on Ureteroscopy in Children that has been published in the British Jr of Urology.
He has Trained 15 Urologist and 40 Allied Healthcare Specialist and innumerable nurses over the years.
I. Field of Organ Donation and Transplantation
Through MOHAN Foundation (www.mohanfoundation.org) he has done pioneering work in the field of deceased donation transplantation programme in India. Almost 60% of all deceased donor Transplants over the last 12 years are due to the efforts of the counselors of MOHAN Foundation or by the ones who were trained by the Foundation. The counselors first speak to the grieving family relatives at the time of brain death of a patient to get a ‘yes for donation.’ This effort has given a new lease of life to 4500 organ failure patients through transplantation of organs and tissues such as Heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, heart valves, corneas, intestine and pancreas recipients patients.
MOHAN Foundation in the last 17 years has so far sensitized and reached out to over 20 million people about deceased donation programme through their various programmes, press releases, ad spot films on television, through website, its Newsletter and publications, advocacy groups and through distribution of organ donor cards.
II. In the field of Healthcare Information Technology
- As a founder and chief Editor of www.medindia.net he has established the largest health website from India, which today is among the top ten health website in the world. It empowers consumers with validated health information. It’s million pages and reaches out to over 30 million visitors from across the world every year. It provides all its online services free of cost to Indian public.
- He established Indian Organ Transplant Registry (www.transplantindia.com) under Indian Society of Organ Transplantation. This has helped in compiling all data on kidney transplants done in India and their outcome. The registry is first of its kind in Asia.
- He established ‘Medical Computer Society of India’ – A Unique Indian body that promotes the use of computers in Medical sciences for better patient care and to bring the cost of treatment down. Under his leadership it has done 5 national and International conferences in India that has been attended by over 2,000 delegates (*Meditel2000, Meditel2002, Meditel2004, Meditel 2006, Meditel 2008). It has developed various applications for doctors to ease their practice
1. National Advisory Member, *National Committee 2004 – to formulate guidelines for implementing Information technology for the Indian Healthcare industry of Ministry of Information and Communications Technology, Govt. of India in 2004 .
2. National Advisory Member of National Committee – “Standardization of Digital Information to facilitate implementation of Telemedicine systems using IT – Enabled services” for Medical Council of India, Govt. of India, New Delhi in 2005.
3. National Advisory Member, National Committee – National Health Information Collaboration, for WHO & Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), New Delhi in 2005.
4. Member, CII committee 2005 – of experts for Health for Southern India – 2005.
5. Founding Member 2005 – An organization called – National Bio-medical Ethics and Law (NOBEL) *- to uphold ethics in medical practice. – 2005
6. Invited as an International Advisory Member for ‘International Expert Committee’ to Formulate Guidelines on “Living Kidney Donor” held at Amsterdam in 2005.
6. Invited as an International Advisory Member for International Expert Committee to Formulate Guidelines on “Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes” (KDIGO), a global organization managed by the National Kidney Foundation (NKF), U.S.A. Meeting held at Lisbon – 2006
7. Editorial board of member – Indian Journal of Urology from -2006-2011.
8. National Organising Scientific Committee Member – World Organ Donor Day (2010) , New Delhi -2010
9. President – Madras Urological Society – 2010-2011
10. Organising Scientific Committee Member – 11th Congress of International Society of Organ Donation and Procurement, *Buenos Aires, Argentina on 27th to 29th Nov 2011
Dr.Shroff has had an illustrious career and some of his career highlights include –
- Dr.Sunil Shroff was one of the first to publish his experience with the application of the Holmium laser in urology especially kidney stones from the Institute of Urology, London UK in collaboration with his mentor Dr.Graham Watson in the year 1995 in the British Journal of Urology.
- He started the kidney transplantation programme at SRMC in 1995 and in 1996 implemented the deceased donation transplantation programme. SRMC & RI was the leader and one of the first three hospitals in India to have established such a programme.
- He performed the first kidney transplantation on an HIV positive patient in India.
- He performed the first successful transplant of kidneys from cobra-bitten brain death victims. He did four such kidney transplantation.
Past Awards & Recognition
- 2000 -Outstanding Contribution to Society – by MITHRA, Chennai.
- 2005 – Awarded to deliver Oration at Jodhpur Medical College Hospital in memory of their famous surgeon.
- 2007 – Recipient of Lifetime Achievement from Rotary International, Annanagar, Chennai.
- 2008 -Awarded to Deliver Orations on Deceased Donation by Indian Medical Association, Vijayawada.
- 2010 – Social Entrepreneur of the Year from TIECON (TIE- The Indus Entrepreneur), Chennai.
- 2011 – Agarwal Excellance Award – Agarwal Samaj of Tamil Nadu
- 2012 – Best Teachers Award by Dr.MGR Medical University, Chennai , Tamil Nadu
- 2012 – Prof. S.M.Nawab Memorial Oration at Annual Conference of Association of Surgeons of India, Bihar Chapter (BASICON 2012 ) held at Purnea , Bihar